New Year Resolutions for Dental Care (and Why it’s so Important)
There will be many New Year’s resolutions discussed over the next few weeks. Some of the most common are lifestyle changes that improve your health like exercising more, traveling, or learning a new hobby. One resolution that can make a big difference in your life without a lot of effort is to improve your dental health.
What are the Benefits of Good Dental Care & Why is It Important?
Preventative and general dental care can help you maintain your smile for the rest of your life. You can lower your chances of developing dental disease and prolong the life expectancy of your smile by using proven strategies.
After all, oral diseases can statistically raise your chances of a heart attack, stroke, pneumonia, and half a dozen other major medical concerns.
In reality, almost all dental problems can be avoided. That’s why it’s important to have your teeth checked regularly. Our Mission Valley, CA dentist will help you create a preventative program that will help.
Preventive dentistry is a proactive approach to keeping your gums and teeth healthy. This usually involves six-monthly cleanings and exams with Dr. Cassell as well as good oral hygiene habits.
Addressing Dental Issues Early
Dental treatment can be either restorative or therapeutic when issues cannot be avoided. From there, preventative dentistry can help reduce the need for additional treatment in the future.
Receiving regular dental care can help you avoid problems such as:
- Tooth decay, by addressing demineralization early
- Treatment and reversal of gum disease before bone and tooth loss occur
- Prevention and detection of oral cancer
- Better oral health thanks to personalized hygiene advice
What are the Benefits of a Good Oral Hygiene Routine?
The importance of a good oral hygiene routine reduces your risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Even the best home care routine might leave plaque biofilm behind, and plaque can calcify into hard “tartar” after roughly 24 hours.
If you’re planning to make dental New Year’s resolutions in Mission Valley, here are a few things you can do to ensure you’re successful:
- Floss Regularly. Did this one make you laugh a little? It’s important to realize that food particles can build up between your teeth, and toothbrushes can’t remove them from those spaces. If not properly cleaned, you can develop gum disease and cavities between your teeth.
- Brush for the Right Amount of Time. Brush twice daily for two minutes. Brushing without a timer is a common mistake because most people rush through the process and brush for only about 30 seconds. Recession can be caused by aggressive brushing or using a toothbrush that’s too hard. Take your time and use a soft-bristled brush.
- Visit Cassell Dentistry Twice A Year. At Cassell Dental, we recommend a checkup every six months. This helps to maintain your smile and prevents unnecessary tooth loss or dental needs. We recommend a preventative cleaning as well as an exam and any necessary X-rays to check for potential problems.
Dental Exams in Mission Valley
We’ll talk with you about any concerns you may have when you visit us for your checkup. During your visit, our dentist will conduct a thorough examination of your face and jaw joints and then examine your inside mouth, including your lips and soft tissues, as well as your tongue and back of the throat.
X-rays may be required as part of your exam. X-rays allow us to see areas of your mouth that may not be visible to the naked eye. The results will be reviewed together, and we’ll decide if any treatment is necessary. We’ll then professionally clean your teeth to remove any and all buildup.
Make It a Resolution and Call Us Today
We’re excited to have you join our dental family! Aside from a friendly, patient-centered environment, you can expect an inviting and comfortable atmosphere with our Mission Valley dental team.
Cassell Dentistry is dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable dental care. When you choose us, you won’t have to worry about sacrificing time or money on treatments you don’t need. Contact us today to book your next appointment!